Nunawading Cricket Club

Doug Bosworth

 Doug (Bozzy) Bosworth

Doug started with Nuna in 1954/55.  There were only two teams, and he commenced under captain George Thatcher in “B” Grade.  The next game was at Silver Grove and Doug made 116.  That was the end of Doug’s ‘seconds’ appearances until 1968/69, when he captained the seconds to a Premiership win.  Doug also captained the Firsts to a premiership in 1973/74.  

Doug took out the the Association top grade batting average twice, in the late 50’s and in the early 60’s, and did the same in the seconds in 1968/69.  He was club Secretary for 7 years, and Vice-President for 11.  He also served for many years as equipment manager, on the BHRDCA Tribunal, and on the Mahoneys Reserve Management Committee.

Doug played in are club record SEVEN First XI Premierships, in 1957/58, 58/59, 60/61, 65/66, 66/67, 68/69 and 1973/74, captaining in 1973/74.

Doug was awarded Life Membership in 1968 which was to be his sixth in a row and last as Club Secretary. The Club wrote to Doug and his wife Marj, stating that “…the reason the Club is held so highly in the Association is due to….the image and example you have impressed upon people outside the club both on and off the field”.  

In all of the tasks and portfolios Doug performed for Nuna during his 25 years with usm he is especially remembered for being “on top” of them all, leaving nothing to chance and taking the view that “if it is to be, it is up to me”. 

Doug finished playing in 1979/80.  Doug and Marge were farewelled at that year’s Presentation Night, as they headed off to live in sunny Queensland.

New Social Rooms 

In September 1977 a study group comprising of members of the Nunawading City Soccer Club and Nunawading Cricket Club investigated the building of upstairs clubrooms at the Mahoneys Road pavilion. A draft constitution was prepared, planning permits obtained and funding sought by way of debentures. The plan was to seek 250 debenture holders to purchase $300 debentures paid to $30 each to fund the deposit and guarantee a loan. Doug Bosworth and Kevin Steele and Terry Harris were three of the driving forces from NCC behind this activity and the required number of members were obtained for the project to proceed. After six months investigation a Co-operative Society was formed at a special meeting on May 10, 1978. Nunawading CC members were Doug Bosworth, Kevin Steele and Tahu MaruMaru. Members were conscripted with the 178 required to support a bank loan of $40,000 obtained by the end of September. During this time building plans and specifications were prepared and approval from the Council and Health Department obtained. A building contract to compete the building to ‘lock-up’ was let to Reims Pty Ltd for $43,573. Work commenced on October 20 with practical completion on December 20, 1978. From that time internal fit-out was carried out by the voluntary labour of the co-operative shareholders under Tahu’s supervision. All this culminated in the opening of the Clubrooms by Nunawading City Council Mayor, Cr Keith Harding, on March 31, 1979